Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kalksteen Primary School-Alyssa

Before we left for South Africa some Rutgers students collected school supplies for the students at Kalksteen Primary School (located in poor district of Cape Town). Two of the business school students went above and beyond with what they collected for the school.

     We got to present these items to the school on Tuesday when we visited the learners. We separated into groups and went into different classrooms. I was in a second grade class and the kids were so excited to see us. It was such a good opportunity to get to spend time with them. The group of kids I was with each read me a part of the book they had. It was really amazing being a part of this experience and I have to say it was my favorite part of the trip. I let the kids take pictures with my camera and they were trying on my sunglasses. The littlest things made them so happy and they were so carefree. After we met with them in the classroom, the whole school gathered for an assembly and they sang some songs, danced, and played instruments that were donated by Rutgers. The instruments keep them interested in going to school which is really hard for them to do, about 80 percent drop out before 7th grade.  It was such a great experience and really touched a lot of people seeing how important this was to them and how valuable education is in their lives.

Alyssa McCarthy
Undergraduate
Finance major